Wednesday, September 01, 2010

The Food That Nourishes Us




Food for the soul


I got some sad news recently, and things have been especially tumultuous for everyone in the last few months, and I find myself writing more and more trying to help people make sense of things. We are all in need of nourishment, and perhaps, right now, the best nourishment would be a good soup or something equivalent. Bet you thought I was going to say something spiritual, right? :)


Well, we do need a good soup, and know, how to nourish ourselves. And food is the best nourishment, because until we give to our physical body, without that strong foundation, how can we build our emotional or spiritual selves?


So I did write Mastering The Art Of French Cooking to give an idea where I was coming from http://manfromatlan.blogspot.com/2010/05/mastering-art-of-french-cooking.html and I do recommend Food Is Your Best Medicine by Henry G. Bieler, M.D. but, the real nourishment is not in the recipe, but, the source of the food, and the environment you cook it in, and, whether you prepare it with love or not.


You can read Like Water For Chocolate (movie's great too) and if there's one book you MUST read it's The Hundred-Foot Journey by Richard C. Morais, sort of The Slumdog Millionaire becomes a three star chef in France, to see the sheer joy and love of cooking I am talking about.


I used to cook for my family and friends, simple food prepared with love, and everyone felt the energy and nourishment within that food. Now I am so preoccupied with things I rarely have the chance to cook, but Chloe does the cooking in the same spirit, and I suspect people love her desserts even more :) Yes, it's the joy of cooking for others, and what we put in it is love.


Yes, there are many different kinds of nourishment, and be it manna for Moses' people, the body of the Christ, and the slaughtered goats of Eid that Muslims are enjoined to give to the poor, yes there many ways we can give without all those er, other rules.


But I, will be dragging out the old barbeque for my family this week.

No comments: