Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Manchester~The Heart Breaks


Another terror bombing
 
May 22, 2017: Another bombing, this time as thousands of people left an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester Arena. 22 dead, 59 injured, mostly young teen women. The heart breaks.
 
Today isn't a day to discuss root causes, assign blame or pursue agendas, nor should it ever be on the back of tragedy.
 
I remember after 9/11, when an American friend asked "How did we ever get to this place?" and my heart broke then too, for my friends.
 
I remember instead the outpouring of love after 9/11, as millions marched to prevent war. As the great city of Manchester mobilized once again, with #RoomForManchester, taxis, hotels, first responders, then what I saw was great feelings of love, decency, strength. Manchester is indeed, a great city. I know, since I have so many friends there..
 
Ten years ago, I flew into Glasgow airport just after the terror bombing there. When I finally left the U.K. it was through Manchester airport. If there is a place I love as much I do Canada it would be the U.K.
 
I will not respond to hate, no matter the source or reason. The only response in these times is love. Only then can there be peace, and, seeing the future, I believe the world will then be a better place.

No comments: